- Trump had to "unite the party."
- Trump had to not "say anything crazy."
- Trump had to "start talking about policy."
- Trump had to "make Paul Ryan feel comfortable."
- Trump had to "hug it out with former rivals."
Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it.
Mr. Trump ... has become the megaphone for a large group of voters who feel they have been disenfranchised from the political process, and abandoned on the economic battlefield... Mr. Trump also knows that “acting presidential” is equivalent to no longer being authentic and believable to his supporters. You’re never going to create an anti-Washington wave of the magnitude he needs if you sound too much like a focus-group-tested, teleprompter-guided candidate.