That "Word of the Day" exercise is a good way to build vocabulary. Here's my nomination for "Word of the Year," with credit to Dictionary.com:
1. of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2. of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner: a serious occasion; a serious man.
3. being in earnest; sincere; not trifling: His interest was serious.
4. requiring thought, concentration, or application: serious reading; a serious task.
5. weighty or important: a serious book; marriage is a serious matter.
6. giving cause for apprehension; critical: The plan has one serious flaw.
7. Medicine/Medical. (of a patient's condition) having unstable or otherwise abnormal vital signs and other unfavorable indicators, as loss of appetite and poor mobility: patient is acutely ill.
That is about where I am headed. I think it's a serious year coming up!