7 major scourges of Doom (and why their adherents squabble over the scraps rather than accomplish anything useful together whatsoever).
- Peak Oil (rarely recognizes peak anything else, generally fixated on doomsteading)
- Ecosystem Collapse (an ecological perspective about pollution, whole systems destruction)
- Climate Change (yes, it's real, it's caused by humans, and it's an existential threat)
- Overpopulation (no, the world doesn't need your offspring because you're "special")
- Habitat Destruction (deforestation, mining, fracking, drilling, paving, etc)
- Economic - (includes debt Ponzi schemes and inequality, social justice issues)
- The death of the Oceans (from agricultural runoff, warming, overfishing and acidification)
Here's why none of the activists, scientists, and followers of these disparate but interconnected sources of potential doom can work together - Everyone who discovers that we are on an unstoppable trend towards global collapse becomes instantly enamored of two overpowering, egotistical (and often remunerative) convictions...first, they are sure they have defined the precise problem (which usually has to do with how they came about to notice) and second, they are sure they, and they alone, know the solution (ditto). Nobody will ever cooperate to fix the problems, because their ego won't let them.
The way I see it, that's actually pretty good news!